Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving, also known as Thanksgiving Day, is a harvest festival. Traditionally, it is a time to give thanks for the harvest and express gratitude in general. Thanksgiving dinner is usually celebrated by a gathering of family members. Whatever your plans may be, I hope your holiday is safe and enjoyable. Remember also to count your blessings. Mine are health, family, and home. Although my list is brief, these precious blessings are my life. If all goes as planned, our family will have grown by two new babies before the holiday weekend is over.

For now, my busy day begins. Doughboy is still snuggled in bed while I'm preparing for today's gluttony. My daughter Jamie and her family will join us later for dinner. It is tradition that Doughboy and I host Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas Eve. Many thanks to Starwood Gal...I am trying three of her fabulous recipes for today's dinner. If you haven't visited her blog, you're in for a taste treat. Her blog is filled with treasured family recipes that have simple ingredients and are easy to follow.

Today's menu is...

Roasted Turkey
Sausage, Apple and Walnut Stuffing
Cheesy Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Shallots and Garlic
Corn Pudding
Sweet Potato Casserole
Classic Green Bean Casserole
Flaky rolls and butter

Dessert is lovingly prepared by Jamie - a chocolate cheesecake and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I'll be sure to take photos and post tomorrow.

Enjoy the holiday...and if your plans take you away from home, have a safe journey.


9 comments:

Deb said...

Sounds so yummy! Happy Thanksgiving to all of the Rectors and the Paynes. Let us know when Jamie goes into labor. If we are traveling, I will check in as soon as possible. Isn't it exciting to await the arrival of your new baby, Ava?

The Weaver of Grass said...

Best wishes for the two babies due to arrive. That menu sounds absolutely divine - hope the two pregnant mums don't overeat.

Jamie Payne said...

I am starving! All I can smell is the turkey cooking in the oven and I can't wait for it to be done. The boys are playing in the backyard under the supervision of Bumpa and daddy. Yes, we truly have lots to be thankful for today. Thanks for hosting dinner Mimi!

Mental P Mama said...

Yum! Are you doing the cognac and milk turkey??? I am so curious about that. Blessings!

Chere said...

Happy Gobble Day.

Janette said...

WOW it all sounds so good. Can't wait to see the pics. Happy late thanksgiving. =)

Roxanne Schwandt said...

Hope you guys had a delicious meal - sounds like it by the menu! My first year hosting/making Thanksgiving dinner was also great and the food was delish!

CONGRATS on the birth of your new granddaughter, Ava!!!!
Did Kelly have her baby girl as well? Can't wait to see pictures posted :)

Judyann said...

Loved the chocolate cheesecake. Thanks for sharing with me. Can't wait to see more pictures of Ava and your other grandaughter. Did they choose a name yet?

Deb said...

Hey there Mimi!!! Your granddaughter is beautiful. I can't wait to see all of your millions of photos of this beautiful little girl.