Thursday, March 27, 2008

Things That Go Bump

I always had a fascination with old cemeteries. As a young girl, my BF Nancy and I used to ride bikes around historic Mounds Cemetery in our hometown of Racine, Wisconsin in search of ancient grave stones. The old cemetery was riddled with imposing family mausoleums. We would dare each other to walk up to the doorway of the spooky tombs and peer inside at the neat rows of crypts. At sleepovers we would play Ouija by candlelight and invoke the spirits to spell the name of our future husbands and reveal the number of children we would have someday. I believed the Ouija was real! Nancy and I also believed in reincarnation, ghosts, and all things creepy that went bump in the night. The mysteries of the unknown seemed larger-than-life. What ever happened to the Ouija Board anyway? I still have a fascination with cemeteries... so long as I'm a visitor and not a resident.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frankly, I like the flower and kid pictures better. Go figure....

Chere said...

Westview Cemetary in West End is a wonderful place. The markers are unreal. They have a place where gypies are buried. The Mosaleam has a stain on the floor where it is beleived that a murder was committed. It is a very old and interesting place. I love your photos. Where did you take them? They are wonderful. I had a great photo shot with birds today in Fl.

Deb said...

Great photps, Deb! Honestly, I'd have to say that I haven't been to Westview Cemetary but it deserves a trip just to absorb the history.
I aspire to learn half of your photography skills!