Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 4th Traditions...Old and New

While I typically shy away from making our blog a diary, I can occasionally bend the rules since I am the author. As I write this, it is storming – a much welcome respite to Georgia’s continuing drought. It has been a quiet day – a winding down of a busy week and holiday weekend. Independence Day was our traditional family event consisting of swimming in our pool, taking a ride on the golf cart, and culminating with dinner. Every year we grill olive burgers and hot dogs, topped off by Jamie’s homemade potato salad and festive holiday dessert (see photo below).


Included below are a couple photos taken around our back yard and while on our golf cart ride.

This July 4th marked a momentous occasion. Our 3-year old grandson decided it was time to spend the night with his Mimi and Bumpa. We have asked Ayden for months about spending the night with us. Every time he said “not yet”. As he nears his 4th birthday, he declared himself big enough to spend the night away from Mom, Dad, and younger brother, Jameson. Ayden arrived with his little rolling Cars suitcase and never had a qualm about saying goodbye to his family. After a bubble bath in Mimi’s spa tub, he snuggled on my lap as we watched a movie of his choosing. We lit sparklers (another first for Ayden) at dusk. He asked to go to bed around 10:00pm and went straight to the top bunk bed and we never heard from him again until morning. We ate breakfast together, and acting very much like a future politician, he declared my scrambled eggs as the “best eggs ever!”. We experienced another first with Ayden – we went to a move theater to see Kung Fu Panda. He settled in with his popcorn snack and did quite well until about 20 minutes from the end of the movie. With a promise to take him on a golf cart ride if he behaved, he sat on my lap until the movie ended. As promised, we allowed Ayden to ride his new hot wheel bike on the cart path while Bumpa and I drove at a safe distance behind. His little legs were working overtime. Each time I asked him if he wanted a ride on the golf cart, he would hold up his hand and declare, “I can do this”. We had to give him tons of credit for his tenacity. As Ayden struggled up a hill, I could hear him talking to himself… “I’m a hard working man…I can do this!” I was so proud of him! He never faltered or gave up. What a big boy. I’m sure this is a first of many more sleepovers. I remember the days when I was a young girl and begged to stay with my grandmother. Someday Ayden will have the same sweet memories of his grandparents. Another family tradition continues…

5 comments:

Deb said...

Your 4th of July sounded quite lovely. What better way than to share with your beloved family and adorable grandsons. Every now and then a small glimpse into your life is allowed! As you stated it, you ARE the author! Happy 4th!

Chere said...

When I was growing up, I would do anything with my grandparents. They were the best. I still have very fond memories of being with them. Little Ayden is such a brave little boy. I forget that he is only 3. The pictures from your backyard are wonderful. Everything this time of the year is so beautiful. The summer heat has not cooked everything to a crisp. Just maybe we will countinue to get afternoon showers. It makes everything so green and cools off the hot temperture some. Here's to you and your happy family. Happy 4th of July

Roxanne Schwandt said...

What a great holiday memory! I love picturing Ayden and the quotes you and Jamie post. That little boy and not such a "little boy" as he nears 4 years old! I have fond memories of kids vacation at my grandparents, and someday soon my mom gets to pay-back the favour with kids vacation at her house! Just gotta love those traditions :)

Janette said...

You are one awesome Grandma. My girls loved to spend weekends at my parents. They are now 21 and 18 and don't do it as often any more. BUT they sure are close to my parents. I love that.

Janette said...

P.S. I just love your photos. Your grandkids are sooooo CUTE!