Saturday, September 20, 2008

Bugs 'N Flowers

Last weekend I was 75% of the way to completing a small album of my 2008 nature photos. I had spent countless hours on my photography, selecting and editing photos, and creating the album (from scratch using AccuCut dies). I was quite pleased with its progress. Doughboy had ventured into my scrap area to check in with me and say hi. Being the only person around, I handed my precious album to him for a look. I knew before handing it to him that his critique was likely to be over-the-top (it usually is). Why do I do this? When will I ever learn? Going from page to page he pointed out all its obvious, and not so obvious, flaws. Not being a scrapbooker himself, he doesn't understand that handmade items come with imperfections and uniqueness. But it was his comment after closing the album that got me thinking. He asked, "When are you going to graduate from bugs and flowers?" What!? My confidence was shaken. Are my photos boring? Repetitious?

Although I visited Madison Park several days this past week, I was reluctant to post my photos for fear of being more of the same. As I think more and more about Doughboy's comment, I have to agree to a point. However, I have a career that consumes most of my waking day. I rise each weekday between 5:15 and 5:30am to prepare my day, make the 30 minute commute to work, and spend my day inside an office until roughly 5:30pm. Once I get home, I have three canine children that need dinner and attention. Sprinkle in my evening chores such as laundry, picking up the house, washing dishes, paying bills, and preparing dinner for myself, there isn't much time before I go to bed and start over the next morning. I have 60 minutes each day - precious little time - to squeeze in a lunch break. Preferring to spend as much time outdoors as possible, and wanting to perfect my photography skills, I spend my lunch break walking around Madison Park or Summer Grove. There isn't much to photograph...except bugs and flowers. Just say the word, Doughboy, and I will gladly quit my job and travel so that I can graduate from bugs and flowers. Until I win the lottery, or someone dumps a wad of cash in my lap, it's off to work I go. And, because most of my readers lead similar lives, I know they will forgive me for my many photos of bugs and flowers. Boring or not, I thank you for looking!

Empty playgrounds seem so sad to me. It needs laughing, playing children. Don't you agree?

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable weekend.


8 comments:

Deb said...

Ahhh, I wish I could have seen the pages of your book you have worked so diligently on. I love your photos, but just remember, the bugs will soon be gone and you may have to consider another subject for the cool and colder weather!
Glad you found time to blog!

Anonymous said...

What do husbands know????????? Although I agree that winter's coming, I never get tired of your bugs and flowers - particularly your flowers!! Your photos are incredible!!

JoanS

Jamie Payne said...

What sort of creative outlet does doughboy have? Maybe we as a family tire of his endless hours on the laptop. I applaud you for doing something outside of the everyday routine. I love your pictures of bugs and flowers. Your photography has improved so much in the past year...it makes me so proud of my mommy!

Anonymous said...

HEY HEY HEY.....someone is maybe being a little overly sensitive? All I said was there were other neat subjects that were not bugs or flowers and we get all huffy! Jamie, you do have a point about the laptop....but as someone who eakes out a living using it, it has served us well.
Doris can do bugs and flowers...I just thought she should spread her wings, bugwise.

Janette said...

I happen to enjoy your bugs and flowers. Then again those are subjects I like as well. Maybe you should turn your camera on Doughboys every move. I think we would all find that very entertaining. *smirk* Kidding Doughboy! But Im sure Debra would enjoy her new subject.

Judyann said...

Keep on with the bugs and flowers. YOu do a wonderful job with them, and there are so many different types.

Debra (a/k/a Doris, Mimi) said...

Thanks much for all the supportive comments about bugs and flowers. Take that, Doughboy :)

Roxanne Schwandt said...

I LOVE your bugs and flowers! I've never seen some of the things your buggy flower photography has helped me see... like pollen on bees butts and wings, the spinning spiral of the spider's web, each little spike or hair on a caterpillar, the intricate wings of dragon flies, and the precise petals on flowers. Please don't stop photographing nature! I'm always amazed at how you capture the things you do - how you "see" those teeny little bugs, some of which I had never heard of before you shared. Keep on photo'ing! :)