Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm Henry The 8th I Am

When I started this blog many moons ago, I vowed never to discuss three taboo subjects: my political views, work/employer, and anything else that may offend or embarrass. I have been conspicuously absent from blogging this week. I cannot offer an explanation as it would break my rule about discussing work. To quote Doughboy, I must put my big girl panties on and suck it up. Life would be so much better if I won the lottery.

When life gets tough, I hunker down and occupy my mind with something easy and numbing. Usually I would lose myself in an absorbing novel. But I found something better. I am addicted to The Tudors - a Showtime special series about the reign of England's King Henry the VIII. I watched season one several months ago - all 10 episodes - in mindless abandon. I was ecstatic to find the next season in our mailbox Tuesday. I had forgotten that I ordered the DVD months ago; it was scheduled to auto ship with the release of season two. From the day it arrived in the mail, I treated myself to a dose of nightly history. It stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers as the monarch and chronicles the life of Henry VIII from the time he was crowned king (following the untimely death of his older 15 year old brother) through his life and succession of six wives. Season two concludes with the beheading of Queen Anne Boleyn and the betrothal of Henry to Jane Seymour (wife #3).


If you aren't familiar with the series, and plan to watch it, I must warn that it contains nudity, violence, and adult content. However, the stunning cast, luscious wardrobe, and historical account of royalty in the 1500's makes this series a must see. Enjoy!


3 comments:

Country Girl said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll ry to check it out!

Judyann said...

One of my other friends is hooked on this show as well. Nichole is reading the book "the other Bolyn Girl" and likes it. Thanks for the heads up on the content. I might check it out myself.
Bon Voyage!

Jamie Payne said...

I watched the first episode of season 1 at your house many moons ago and seriously need to watch the rest. Maybe while I'm housesitting this week I'll find time to catch up! Unfortunately, even The Tudors will not be able to replace you...I'll miss you terribly while you're away.