Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lost and Found

As I begin to edit my photos from our Caribbean cruise, I realize I didn't take very many pictures. I suppose that's a sign of the fun we had - I spent more time taking in the sights than behind a camera lens. I promise to get a few highlights of the cruise posted later. However, no vacation is entirely smooth and ours was no exception. Here is a tale of lost and found.

Any serious scrapbooker has an arsenal of assorted tools and supplies. ScrapMap provided a list of items each participant was required to bring. The list included a Crop-a-Dile, Zutter Bind-It-All, Big Bite, scissors, dry and wet adhesives, trimmers, punches, etc. Scrapbookers know these items don't come cheap. I have a special rolling case and hand-tote made just for scrapbook supplies. Packed to the brim with all the supplies I needed for a week of classes, it was the second most important suitcase (my photography equipment reigns supreme in importance and never leaves my side).

Traveling from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale is an easy 1-1/4 hour direct flight. Doughboy wanted to start our vacation on the right foot and used his highly coveted frequent flyer miles to score first class seats. Being a no-brainer flight, we eagerly waited for our luggage to arrive on the baggage carousel. One, two, three...three...where is #4? The one suitcase I couldn't live without - the one that contained all my scrap supplies - was missing!


To make a very long story short, Doughboy drew a lot of attention in his effort to calm his irrational wife by working with the disinterested helpful Delta baggage claim representative. A quick check on Doughboy's Blackberry showed another flight from Atlanta was scheduled to arrive in 35 minutes.

And so we waited for the next flight to arrive in the hope my bag was somehow separated from the rest of our luggage. No such luck. Giving up, we made our way to the port without my missing bag but with the assurance it would be delivered to the ship via taxi. Two hours later our ship left port...without the missing suitcase. Thank you Delta airlines.

Our first port of call was Key West - an approximate 4-hour drive (one way) from Ft. Lauderdale. Doughboy worked his frustration charm with Delta and had my missing bag delivered to Key West via taxi. Woo hoo! It's no wonder why I adore this man! Doughboy knows that if mamma ain't happy, ain't no one happy. The bag was dirty, frayed, and the pull handle was missing. But I was so relieved to see it - sitting along the side of the road at a security check point. What was lost had been found. This calls for a celebration!


11 comments:

Deb said...

OMG! I am reading this and thinking...of all the bags that could be lost, YOURS is the one that IS?! And the most important bag on the entire plane?
So glad you found it...probably with all those tools, the TSA had to inspect it.

Glad you had a wonderful time and I'm jealous that I didn't get to go. We'll always have Hawaii! Mabye next year!

Mental P Mama said...

Ain't that always the way?? We love Key West, and our hotel is right where you docked! I am also loving the Doughboy Series....

Chere said...

Yes, your bag arrived sound but not safe. Now Doris? Did you not listen to Karen Russell at 6:30 in the morning? Do you remember the photo of her husband? Well, doughboy has a handle on his back. Check the photo. You should have moved around your subject. If I had to get up at 5:30 to be at this class.......well you know.

Nikki S. said...

It's funny to hear your story- but have to admit- I talked to Jaime on Friday and she told me what happened! I couldn't believe it- like Deb said- of all the bags to be lost!
On a completely different note-Jaime and I were trying to figure out how to strike out a word in a blog and noticed you did it a couple times in this one. Help Please!

Country Girl said...

Yay! Doughboy to the rescue! And I'm sitting here reading this, and I get to the part where you say "this calls for a celebration" and then the final photo . . .

And I am sitting here crcking up. This is great.

Country Girl said...

Oh, and those mysterious items you mentioned are Greek to me. But they sound very interesting.

Pam said...

Ahhh, all is right with the world! The Divas have returned safe and sound...and, your Doughboy is still the Scrap Club Hero! Cheers! WELCOME HOME!

The Weaver of Grass said...

That last photo is brilliant. Alls well that ends well. I think the photodeserves enlarging and framing, parasol and all.

Deb said...

Just want you to know that I tagged you for a meme. Visit and see!

Judyann said...

Bet you were frantic at losing your bag. But thanks to Doughboy, things ended up being right with the world. Glad it all worked out. Did they have extra supplies in case that happened and the bag wasn't returned? Guess you were imagining how much fun that would have been.

Doughboy said...

Maintenance Guy comes through with the lost 85 lb bag of cropping equipment. I'm thinking TSA had it held up trying to figure out these 'weapons of mass construction'