Monday, December 22, 2008

What A Difference A Day Makes

Saturday's weather was unseasonably warm with temps reaching into the 70's. It was almost a record setting day for December. Being the first day of winter, Sunday heralded a change in temperature as the thermometer plunged more than twenty degrees. Whereas Saturday's overnight low was 64 degrees, this morning it is 20. On top of the dropping temps, the blustery wind makes it feel even colder. Brrrr...

Doughboy and I finished some last minute shopping, then worked on our holiday cards. Yes, I know they're quite late. But last year I procrastinated and missed Christmas entirely. Our holiday cards and corresponding envelopes are always handmade. I started several months ago by machine stitching strips of cardstock on the background. Layered on top are dimensional Christmas trees in shades of pink and aqua with sequins for adornment. I am very pleased with how they turned out. The first 10 visitors who send me their address will receive one of my handemade cards in the mail. Please respond via e-mail to keep your personal information confidential.

After putting the finishing touches on our cards, Doughboy and I braved the blustery winds for the security of the pool house. We toasted the holidays and each other by sipping a martini - or two - with our favorite tunes playing in the background. I love the coziness of the pool house. Even in winter it is warm and inviting. Next to the pool house are several bushes that are vibrant with pink blossoms in summer. I was surprised to find the bushes covered with lovely blossoms yesterday, it being the first day of winter. Sadly the fragile blossoms won't last long but they'll return again in spring. I may have been born and raised in Wisconsin, but I am a southern girl at heart. I love living here!

Wherever you live, I hope your holidays are cheerful and bright!


7 comments:

Deb said...

and where is the photo of the cards you created? :)
I left you a response on my blog...tag...go read it!

Mental P Mama said...

That is beautiful...cheers;)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Your cards sound lovely Debra.
That flower cheered me up on a dark day. Have a lovely Christmas and a joyous new year.

Pam said...

Now you know I must have one of those cards! Have a wonderful week!

Country Girl said...

Am sending you my address via e-mail right away!!

Happy Holidays, dear Debra!!

Judyann said...

Sure hope I'm on the list to receive one of the lovely cards. They are beautiful and everyone you send them too will be so glad you did.

Chere said...

You goof, you are looking at camillias. They normally bloom in the fall and winter. You may have one that blooms in the summer but do not be disappointed if it dosen't. Yes, I do think you are becoming a southern at heart, maybe. Thank you so for letting me into you and your families life. Merry Christmas to you and yours. Love you girl, Priss.